Thursday, December 18, 2008

Do you vote...

I do too. Regularly. I've voted for parties, for candidates I've felt were the best among a basket of evils. I've stood in snaking lines. I've punched the button. And honestly, when the indelible ink comes on my finger, I've shown in around with a smirk, looking down on the unfortunates who havent got theirs.
Which is why I have been listening to all this debate about whether to vote or not, or give blank votes which much interest.
All I have to say, is if you live in a country you are morally, ethically and emotionally responsible to sustain the democracy and freedom it offers you. The least you can do is vote for a candidate you feel is capable of representing you. If you dont like any of the candidates on offer, vote for the party you believe in. If you feel all the candidates and all the parties are crooks, get into politics yourself and try to make a difference instead of sitting on the fringe and bleating about it.
I have just shifted home last year, and suddenly realised I hadnt done my voter registration.
Here's what I heard is helpful. And yes. Do vote. It does make a difference.

From the Jaagore.com website:
I realized how important it is to stop complaining but start voting to make a difference. And now, it's simpler than ever before!
Jaago re! One Billion Votes - a nationwide movement on voter registration - has made it possible to fill a voter registration form online and that too in just 5 minutes!Go to www.jaagore.com to learn more and register to vote right now..If you have already registered to vote, you can still register with Jaago re! One Billion Votes movement and get periodic confirmation of your voter status, and election related news and reminders. Believe it or not, even registered voters sometimes do not figure in voter lists!Go to www.jaagore.com for more information, and to learn about voting related rules and procedures.

No comments: